Pages

Guide me in your truth and teach me,
for you are God my Savior,
and my hope is in you all day long. Psalm 25:5

Monday, November 10, 2008

How do you sleep?

Alanna got me thinking today about sleep. I have never been a good sleeper. It takes sometimes hours for me to fall asleep. Most nights I see 1am no matter what time I go to bed. And when I do finally go to sleep I wake alot. I always wonder why I have such trouble, and I was thinking about it, one of the reasons is, because I worry. What do I worry about you ask? Well, I guess any and everything. What if a fire starts, what if someone breaks in, what if carbon dioxide is leaking in our house. It's almost like I have to stay on guard. Like, as long as I am awake nothing will happen. So, basically when it's time to get up in the morning I am completely wiped out still. I can not remember the last time I have woken up feeling refreshed and ready to go. I constantly wish I was still in bed. I have heard about this sort of thing happening after you have kids, but as long as I can remember, I always had trouble sleeping soundly. Now, yes, I realize that this is completely dumb. I know this, yet it's still something that I can't get over. I just need to let God watch over us and get some sleep!

4 comments:

  1. I used to be very much the same way, especially as a child. I would lay awake for hours listening to every little noise and horrible thoughts going through my head. It was the absolute worst when we first married and Eric would be gone for business for a couple weeks at a time. I was plain miserable (and tired)until I decided to just give my fears to God and I prayed myself to sleep each night asking God to put a shield of protection around us as we slept, among other things. Brittney and I were just talking about this because she is a big fraidy cat just like I was. I am nearly completely over this now and I 100% attribute this to handing my fears over to the Lord. Hope this helps!

    Matthew 6:27
    Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be a girl thing. I have also struggled with this. When we were first married I had a dream several days a week that Jared was crushed under a brick building that fell and I was on the outskirts of the destruction lifting brick after brick searching and crying for him. When the kids were born it went from bad to worse with terrible dreams of their demise in horrific ways. I would have fears of getting them out of bed just in case my dreams were real. I didn't want to find them that way. I still struggle once in a while when Jared spends super late nights at church and we're here alone but for the most part I'm pretty much cured. I did exactly what Alisa suggested. I prayed diligently each night for His peace and offered up each member of my family to Him knowing He loves them more than I could possibly love them. I begged Him for a dependence on Him verses finding security in my family. He granted it over time and the Matthew 6 passage is also my scripture that brought me peace. It is were Anneliese's middle name Lily comes from. I needed a daily reminder that she is HIS and I need not worry for her:

    25 “That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life—whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn’t life more than food, and your body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren’t you far more valuable to him than they are? 27 Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?

    28 “And why worry about your clothing? Look at the LILIES of the field and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, 29 yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. 30 And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Along with the Matthew 6 passage, 1 Peter 5:7 - Cast all your anxiety on the God because he cares for you.

    Psalm 4:8 - I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.

    Psalm127:2 - God grants sleep to those he loves.

    I think it's going to take a little more than a sleep mask ;o). I will be praying for you! Don't be afraid to pray out loud and tell satan to get off your back!! Remember, there is power in the tongue and all you have to do is "tell that mountain to move, and it will!" Lord, God, I pray right now that satan get behind Jenny. He is keeping her from being filled with your peace and rest by feedding her things to worry about. Father, I pray that those worries would be cast aside and that Jenny would proclaim Your promise that you do take care of us. That she would trust in your word! Thank you Jesus that we can come before you and cast our anxieties upon you and you will give us rest! I praise your wonderful and holy name! Amen.

    Philippians 4:6&7 - Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus!

    ReplyDelete