Pages

Guide me in your truth and teach me,
for you are God my Savior,
and my hope is in you all day long. Psalm 25:5

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Ants go marching.

On Friday, Alanna and the kids came over to play on the Slip n Slide. I sat on a towel under a tree. That is my usual spot, it's still hot, but not nearly as bad as the direct sun. I usually don't pay attention to my towel, but I think I will start. First, I saw an ant carrying a dead spider. Go ants!! Then there was a precious blue butterfly that apparently had a fascination with my flip-flop. I'm pretty sure he was drinking the water that was on there from when I got my feet wet in the hose. He stayed around us for a long time, and even ended up on my shoulder at one point. Have I mentioned how much I love butterflies???

THEN, Alanna apparently put her leg down on an ant, and killed it. It wasn't smushed, but it was obviously not alive. A second ant was doing everything he could to carry the dead ant off. He kept letting go and trying a different way, determined to get his friend over the little wrinkles of the towel. It felt very "no soldier left behind" to me. It almost made me a little teary watching how hard he was trying. He finally made it to the grass, with a little help from me and a blade of grass, with his injured brother.

OK, I realize there is a GREAT possibility that he was carrying him back to the others so they could eat him, but I like happy endings, so in my mind, they went back and had a proper funeral and burial for their fallen soldier. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment